Posted on

Hi y’all,

There has been a bit of confusion recently about how many books there are in the Outlaw Chronicles series. So here is the definitive answer from me, the author: there are eight full-length novels in the series – Outlaw, Holy Warrior, King’s Man, Warlord, Grail Knight, The Iron Castle, The King’s Assassin and The Death of Robin Hood. There are also three ebook short stories (available from Amazon), which can only be read on an electronic device – there are no paper versions of these tales and probably never will be. They are: The Rise of Robin Hood, The Betrayal of Father Tuck and The Hostility of Hanno.

I don’t have plans (or, much more importantly, a contract with a publisher) to write any more Outlaw Chronicles but never say never. I do have a few ideas up my sleeve for three books about Robin and Alan in the south of France during the Albigensian Crusade, and maybe one about the journey home through Muslim Spain after the Third Crusade. But I won’t be writing them anytime soon.

Fans of the Outlaw Chronicles might like to know that I have a new series beginning in October 2017 with Blood’s Game. This first book tells the story of Colonel Thomas Blood and his attempt in 1671 to steal the Crown Jewels of England from the Tower of London. One of Sir Alan Dale’s great-great-great, etc . . . grandchildren makes a brief appearance and, in my fictional universe, Colonel Blood, a real historical character, is the descendant of Sir Thomas Blood of the Outlaw Chronicles. Blood’s Game, which will be followed by Blood’s Revolution in 2018, is available on Amazon and from all good bookshops. Hope you enjoy it just as much as my Robin Hood stories!

11 responses to “Eight Robin Hood novels, three short stories and a brand new 17th-century series”

1. Frank Rowland says:

Mixed feelings,have just finished the last book in the series,glad to have read it,sad that it’s over.
    Looking forward to the next series,mind you-it has a lot to live up to.
    P.S.in your summing up of post 1066 invasions,you omitted the last one,Fishguard in 1797,it didn’t come to much but it was an invasion.

2. AngusD says:

Thanks Frank. I have to admit, I didn’t know about Fishguard. Judging from the date, I guess that would be the French, during the Revolutionary Wars. Hope you enjoy the new series as much as the old. Best wishes, Angus

3. kelly headford says:

Well Angus. What can i say? You have outdone yourself with the final book in the octology …is that a word?. I felt that with Miles going off the rails with resentment i had thoughts that it would be he who killed robin and i was nearly right. Didnt see the nun finishing him off. Sad to see the end of it all. I have enjoyed the series immensely. I think… for me the reason your books have been so successful is that many of the robin hood tales have shown him to be a happy go lucky dead shot in fine frilly clothes and yet you have managed to capture Robin as quite possibly the kind of person he would have been in that era. Righteous, loyal, selfish, bloodthirsty, loving, cheeky, cock sure and a risk taker. Well done and i look forward to reading bloods game. Cheers ..kelly

4. AngusD says:

Thanks Kelly. I’m really glad you liked my . . . let’s go with Octology. I think you are right in your analysis of Robin – I wanted to make him more like a real man, and less of a saint/do-gooder. Real people are much more interesting. I hope you like my new hero, Holcroft Blood, who is a bit of an odd-ball, a bit autistic, actually. Anyway, if you read Blood’s Game you’ll get what I mean. Let me know what you think of the book – and thanks for your support. All the best, Angus

5. BobLee says:

A most favorable comparison of Outlaw Chronicles to McMurtry’s Lonesome Dove Saga….

Thank you for many hours of great listening…
    Raleigh NC… USA

6. AngusD says:

Thanks very much, BobLee. I’m flattered!

7. Tom Leadens says:

Angus, just want to write a note saying how much I have enjoyed the Outlaw Chronicles series. Read some of them out of sequence the first time so went back and read them again in sequence to get the full gist of the story. I love the time period and yours are the best historical novels depicting that era I have ever read. Thank you for many hours of entertainment. I look forward to the Blood series as well!

8. AngusD says:

Thanks Tom. I hope you enjoy the Blood books as much! All the best, Angus

9. Brian Harlow says:

Never written to an author before, but there’s always a first time!
    Just finished “Kings Man” and thoroughly enjoyed it, as I did the ones preceding. I’m just glad I can read about the time, not actually experience it! Must have been bloody awful, really, not at all romantic, but truly, men were men and not constrained by all the BS we face now. Thanks, Angus.

10. AngusD says:

Hi Brian, so glad you enjoyed King’s Man. I think you are right – it must have been an awful time to live in, particularly if you were poor. But I did have fun writing about it. Hope you enjoy the rest of the series – five more books to go! All the best, Angus

11. BobLee Says says:

The harshness and relative primitiveness of the 12-13th centuries notwithstanding… “human nature” does not seem to have changed very much. Good and Evil prowl our streets today as surely as they did the Forest of Sherwood … sigh.